A squat a day keeps the chiropractor away

I read an article recently singing the praises of squatting.
 
It made me just think how much I used to hate squats when pregnant, and even before then when I was fit and active younger version of myself.
 
I just couldn't get anywhere near to the floor. I would always lose my balance and topple over. Then when I was pregnant (3 times), everyone would say “do squats” to open and strengthen my pelvis, but of course I found it even harder to balance with a bump.

Fast forward several years, a misaligned pelvis and thousands spent on chiropractors to fix my stress incontinence (wetting myself when I sneezed, coughed or laughed), I decided to finally bite the bullet. It was time to become a squatter.
So now I squat every day and my pelvis feels strong and flexible and my balance has improved. And believe it or not, I can now actually squat close to the floor without losing my balance.
Here’s the benefits of squatting according to the article:
  1. Increases strength and power.
  2. Improves definition in the legs and butt.
  3. Improves mobility in hips and ankles.
  4. Strengthens and tone the core. 
  5. Improves posture.
 
Some fitness gurus are even advising now to dump the kegels (pelvic floor exercises) and instead do a squat a day.

The aim is to develop an (eventual) deep squatting habit similar to how you might pee or poo while camping) to balance the pelvic floor. Modern toilets prevent us from doing this basic human movement that we used to do all the time.
I found that after 6 months of squatting (feet flat on the ground) whilst holding onto something in front of me, I was suddenly able to widen my stance and squat without having to grab something in front for balance. Success!
 
 
 
The world’s most respected midwife, Ina May Gaskin, famously once said: “Squat 300 times a day, you’re going to give birth quickly.” That is true, although realistically who has time to practice squatting 300 times a day? 

Once is better than none, right?
 
Sadly, I couldn't even contemplate a squat during birth because I didn’t have the strength in my thighs or pelvis, but I wonder what would happen now after my new squat strength? It will just have to remain a theory because I’m too old for any more babies.
The reason why squatting during birth is amazing is due to gravity and how it releases the hips, sacrum and pelvic floor muscles - which basically opens the pelvis up by 30%. Little chance of the baby getting stuck when there's that much extra space in the birth canal.
But if (like me a few years ago) you’re not a natural-born birthing squatter, there’s one other thing you can do to improve your chances of a normal birth whilst minding those pelvic floor muscles: keep upright, open and forward. Otherwise known in birthing circles as UFO, which can help birth to be quicker, faster and less painful.  
Best of luck x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment